[c-nsp] How does IOS do loadshaing with ECMP?

Sukumar Subburayan sukumars at cisco.com
Tue Nov 21 10:31:18 EST 2006

For Sup720 a unique router-id will be used. You probably are thinking
about Sup2, where router-id is not supported in HW.

Do a 'show ip cef summary' and you wil see something like an 'id <no>' in
the output. The Sup720 HW switching used this ID part of the hash
algorithm for the default srt+dstip based load-balancing.

Due to some internal Sup720 specific limitation for even paths (2,4,6,8
etc..) we may have to add additional adjacencies to get even
load-balancing. So, when simple is not configured, we will be adding these
additional adjacencies to get even load balancing. BTW, this is the
default for Sup720.

sukumar

PS: Please unicast me if you need more details.