[c-nsp] IP SLA monitoring

Jee Kay jeekay at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 10:35:26 EST 2006

Is there any way to do 'continuous' monitoring with IP SLA? All the
commands I've found so far require you to effectively specify a
duration and a restart interval, meaning that you end up with a
significant amount of time where there is no monitoring happening.

Specifically, if I configure something like:
ip sla monitor 1
 type jitter dest-ipaddr 1.1.1.1 dest-port 16001 codec g711alaw
 threshold 30
 tag mspces002e
ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now

that actually sends 1000 packets every 60 seconds; with my RTT, that
works out to roughly 30 seconds of coverage (from show ip sla oper:
RTTSum: 29005) but that also means we could actually have an outage of
almost 30 seconds without it showing up in the SLA results.

Anyone have any ideas how to get around that? I've tried to set it up
so that RTT*packets ~= interval, but you either end up with overlaps,
which means a test period is completely skipped, or a gap between the
two which means a period doesn't get monitored.

Thanks,
Ras