[c-nsp] Forcing PPPOE on Interface

Paul Stewart pstewart at nexicomgroup.net
Wed Nov 22 13:29:49 EST 2006

Hi there...

We are looking at bringing up PPPOE on some wireless services starting
in a few weeks...

Interface will look like this:

interface FastEthernet0/1
 description Motorola Wireless
 ip address 10.254.253.1 255.255.255.0 secondary
 ip address xx.xx.xx.62 255.255.255.192
 ip access-group 145 out
 speed 100
 full-duplex
 pppoe enable

In the xx.xx.xx.0/26 subnet we have a few devices that are static for
management purposes (Wireless Access Points) that need to be reached and
CAN be reached today.  The secondary private IP's are used to manage
individual subscriber wireless radios etc....  The 145 access list is
used to filter out SMTP traffic and only permit customers to use our
mail servers etc.

What I want to prevent is someone figuring out they could manually
assign xx.xx.xx.50/26 on their system and bypass PPPOE all together....
we've tested this and it works....

Thoughts? ;)

Thanks in advance,

Paul