[c-nsp] FWSM Questions

Nick Payton npayton at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 22 21:17:35 EST 2006

Piggybacking off of Edoardo's response. The key is where you place the
FWSM logically within your environment. If the FWSM is going to act as
your hosts default gateway (which is what it looks like here) then all
you need to do is assign VLAN200 to the FWSM for routing purposes
(assuming you are going to use routed mode) and create an SVI for
routing between the FWSM and the MSFC. If the FWSM is acting as an
aggregation point for policy that serves multiple networks downstream
from it then you might want to consider firewalling the uplinks which
would mean the firewall is facing the GSR in this example. But directly
to your question this is all you would need to do:

On the MSFC

vlan 200
name FWSM_HOST_LAN
vlan 299
name FWSM_MSFC
!
firewall module X vlan-group X
firewall vlan-group X  200,299

Where module X is obviously the slot the FWSM is in. VLAN-group is any
number you want and isn't a real concern from the way you explained your
situation. Lastly, map the VLAN's the firewall will route for (again,
assuming you are doing a routed firewall here).

You will need at least two VLAN's; one for the host LAN and the other to
communicate with the rest of the network (traditional inside/outside -
but the FWSM doesn't care about security contexts like the PIX does with
the noted exception of how it relates to managing the firewall). High
level FWSM config is as follows:

nameif vlan200 inside security100
nameif vlan299 outside security0
!
ip address vlan200 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
ip address vlan299 X.X.X.X 255.255.255.248 <-- would assign a /29 in
case you ever decide to do failover
!
nat (vlan200) 0 0 0
!
route outside 0 0 X.X.X.X <-- where this IP = the IP assigned on the
MSFC side of VLAN299
!

I wouldn't run OSPF with the firewall since you only have one egress
point, and you are not doing failover. Your HSRP statement needs
clarification as this could mean that you have to go to a failover
design depending on where you plan on providing L3 redundancy so feel
free to ping me directly. There is obviously more to consider and
configure than I put in here (a big one being management of the FWSM),
but I hope this helps all the same.

Regards,
Nick