[c-nsp] Provider border box

nachocheeze at gmail.com nachocheeze at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 13:32:52 EST 2006

On 11/25/06, Saku Ytti <saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi> wrote:
> On (2006-11-25 14:52 +0200), Konstantin Barinov wrote:
>
> > I'm seeking an advise from community - what to choose as a ISP border?
> > Now we have 7600/SUP2/MSFC2 as primary, and are generally happy with it.
>
> > I'm thinking about something with SUP720-3B(XL) as a new router.
> > Maybe community has other ideas? And of course price is important -
> > will be good to fit into $40-50K.
>
> I'd say that operationally SUP720-3BXL makes most sense to you, as
> you obviously already have experience with issues the platform it might
> bring, usually value of that experience exceeds the value of the
> platform itself.
> If you're not satisfied with the whole platform today, options
> worth looking might be M7i/M10i or M120 if 10GE is needed or small CRS
> or GSR. I personally would not buy 'niche' unless you have people
> who can work full-time with the vendor, while at any given time
> there are bound to be unpolished gems out there.

As a someone who runs a primarily Cisco shop, I will second the
heretical recommendation to this listserv about Juniper.  We have our
3rd box on order; they have been nothing but a pleasure to work with.

As an edge router, long as you don't need 10GE to the edge, something
in the M7i/M10i range would probably work fine, and not be that
terribly expensive.