[c-nsp] Provider border box

James Jun james at towardex.com
Mon Nov 27 11:22:25 EST 2006

> Just jumping into the discussion .
> What about a 7206VXR ? are there any limitation .
> I worked for an isp during 4 years and it was the box we were using at the
> Mpls edge has Pe routers but may be this box is not "powerful" enough to
> be use has a core router . GSR were use in the core .
> One of the limitation and the main problem we had was the numbers of Ebgp
> sessions between each Pe / Ce ( Ebgp was used at the routing protocol at
> the access ) . So we had to migrate from Ebgp to static when it was
> possible .

Only problem with 7200 these days for primarily ethernet shops (i.e. hosting
/ content providers, metro-e, etc) is like you said... it's not really
powerful enough.  NPE-G2 sounds promising to actually break 1Mpps, but why
spend that much money for Ethernet interfaces-router when you can buy a
usable 6500 package for similar amount of $ with generous discounts :)

Sup32's strongest point is really.. the fact that it has onboard 9x GE (or
2x10GE which isn't linerate but still..) with nicely sized buffers.  MSFC2A
is royal pain though for putting in multiple full feeds (aside from pfc3b
business).

james