[c-nsp] OID - Number of Users Logged In

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Nov 27 17:01:31 EST 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Paul Stewart wrote:

> Yes... users via PPPOE and L2TP.. sorry, should have been clearer  :)
> Some users are directly via PPPOE and others are via L2TP tunnels... so
> basically looking for the equivalent of "sh users" counted up...

DISCLAIMER: I don't have any PPPOE or L2TP user-supporting boxes, so I
can't guarantee this works :)  That aside...

A quick scrape of Cisco's MIBs shows:
cPppoeSystemCurSessions (from the CISCO-PPPOE-MIB)
OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.1.94.1.1.1
total number of PPPoE sessions on the device at the time of polling

cvpdnSystemSessionTotal (from the CISCO-VPDN-MGMT-MIB)
OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.24.1.1.4.1.3
the total number of VPDN sessions of type (1=l2f, 2=l2tp ,3=pptp) on the
device at the time of polling, so if you wanted to see just L2TP sessions,
try 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.24.1.1.4.1.3.2.

Your best bet is to snmpwalk the device in question and see if the numbers
you get back line up with what you get from a "show users" or equivalent
group of commands.

It looks like both of these OIDs return an integer value, so it should be
easy to graph them over time with an SNMP-aware graphing utility like
MRTG, cricket, etc...

jms