[c-nsp] Experience with Fiberdyne labs?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Nov 30 03:18:09 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 02:54:04PM -0800, Michael Balasko wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience using Fiberdyne equipment? Were looking
> to build out a small DWDM network and planning on using Cisco DWDM
> GBIC's. I just wanted to get any feedback on their muxes.

Rest assured that Fiberdyne does not manufacture their own DWDM muxes, but
then again neither does Cisco. The passive muxes are just commodity parts
that they churn out in China then mark up 500000000% before they sell it
to you. Anyone's muxes will work just fine (assuming they're the right
type, 100GHz ITU grid).

That said, I have yet to see a real world scenerio where it actually made
technical or financial sense to buy DWDM GBICs (even when the muxes are
free). By the time most folks get anywhere near exhausting the capacity of
a CWDM system it is almost always cheaper and easier to manage to just use
10GE. Even at extremely long ranges 80km 10GE optics cost only 2.6x that
of a single DWDM channel GBIC, though I'll admit to having a few spans
between 80km and 100km (*&!# you very much AboveNet) that are keeping some
of my CWDM GBICs alive well beyond the point when they should have been
yanked out. The only value of having 32 discrete 1G channels is when
you're dealing with non-ethernet services like fibre channel, or when
you're reselling optical transport services. The concept of putting a
colored pluggable into their systems to speak directly to their providers
scares and confuses most people, so there isn't much demand for doing DWDM
GBIC based waves that way...

If you really need to keep a GBIC system alive, you might want to just
look at picking up CWDM components. There are a lot of networks out there
who have been ripping out their CWDM systems in favor of 10GE for some
time, you shouldn't have any trouble finding good deals. As we come up on
2007, you should probably ask yourself whether you really still want to
run GBIC based platforms at all let alone sink more money into expensive
GBICs. Even in complex fiber topologies, it usually turns out to be far
better to run 10GE rings where every device touches the packet than it
does to buy the OADMs. :)