[c-nsp] BGP memory on a 6500

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Oct 3 12:04:42 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 11:51:28AM -0400, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
> I think that doesn't make the problem go away, only delays a bit (and
> that might be quite small) when you see the problem.  On the plus
> side, the current situation means that TAC will know what's going on
> as the routing table creeps towards the cutoff point (modulo a
> thousand or two routes +/- per provider).  When aggregatability has a
> 50% non-deterministic span rather than a 1% non-deterministic span,
> things will be rougher for longer.

Sure there is a certain amount of non-propabilisticality with
RIB aggregation.  OTOH, looking at our routers, I know that this would
postpone the 3B->3BXL upgrades at least 2-3 years (without coming very
close to the margin), and that makes a LOT of difference.

Of course it makes a lot of difference on the Cisco income side as well,
and as such, I don't see it happen any time soon.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de