[c-nsp] VRRP for eBGP

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Wed Oct 4 10:06:32 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 04:41:32PM +0700, Frank Cisco wrote:
> We have two BGP internet router gateway installed. If one customer
> connect to both BGP router, we worry the requirement for memory at
> customer site will be increased double. We are thinking to use VRRP
> configured on our internet router, and ask customer to use virtual IP
> as neighbor IP address. Our customer normally use eBGP multihop to us.
> Anybody have experience with it and found no issue on it ?

I have no experience with that - but doing the gedanken-experiment, I
have a question - if you do it that way, if one router fails or otherwise
hands off its VRRP address to the other router, won't the customer's BGP
session go down and have to re-connect with the new router?  Depending
on the customer's network, they may be off the air during the changeover.