[c-nsp] Netflow config

Craig Allen Craig at smilernet.com
Thu Oct 5 14:35:38 EDT 2006

Hello,

What is the recommended way to enable netflow export on the interface configuration?? We would like to monitor traffic on each interface within the route i.e. Gi0/0, Gi0/1 and Serial0/0/0:0

Seems the old way was: 'ip route-cache flow' however reading later IOS docs i.e 12.4 they refer to using 'ip flow ingress' and 'ip flow egress' commands.

As a test I've used 'ip route-cache flow' on all physical interfaces i.e. Gi0/0, Gi01 and Serial0/0/0:0 -> all appears to work as expected.

I then removed 'ip route-cache flow' and added 'ip flow ingress' & 'ip flow egress' on all physical interfaces i.e. Gi0/0, Gi01 and Serial0/0/0:0. Problem I have with this config is the total traffic is exceeding the WAN interface i.e. I'm getting a total of 3.5Mb traffic when the WAN circuit is only 2Mb. Seems I'm getting traffic duplicated from the netflow exports.

Which is best config A or B?

Interface FastEthernet0/0
 ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
 ip route-cache flow