[c-nsp] Memory leak in 124-7a?

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Sun Oct 8 07:16:53 EDT 2006

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net <> wrote on Sunday, October 08, 2006
11:35 AM:

> We are currently evaluating using a FW IOS as central MPLS gateway.
> Anyway, while the system itself seems to run quite nicely (better than
> the crappy Lucent Brick system), after about 2-3 months of uptime, I
> could not logg in anymore, even console access was down due to too
> little free memory. After shutting down the ethernet port on
> the switch, I was again able to logg in and reboot the system.
>
> At the moment, we are running on a 7204VXR w/ 256MB of memory, the box
> is carrying several VRFs, a couple OSPF links to neighboring
> routers, as well as another hand full of BGP sessions (vpnv4). There
is hardly
> any traffic on the system.
>
> After the reboot about 1.5 days ago, free memory has gone
> from 99MB down to now 88MB, with a constant, linear drop of about 6MB
per day ...

> Current IOS image is c7200-jk9o3s-mz.124-7a ...

you need to narrow down which process is leaking memory, take a look at
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_not
e09186a00800a6f3a.shtml#tshoot2 for some guidance. After you identified
the process, take some snapshots of "show proc mem <pid>" and send them
along with "show ver", or use the output interpreter as described in the
doc.

	oli