[c-nsp] Best practice in configuring internet access services.

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubensk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 06:35:15 EDT 2006

Just a few notes:

> there are IOS configuration lmitations. I mean if I'm going  to limit bandwidth in per
> customer basis i have to specify an ACL with customers IP address to put it in a traffic-shape
> or rate-limit statement, however only 700 numbered access-lists can be configured on a router :(

Have you tried using named access-lists ?
interface f3/3.333
ip access-group f-3-333-acl-in

ip extended access-list f-3-333-acl-in
permit ip ....
permit ip...
end

> May be there are common approaches to configure routers and switches for similar network layout
> and services? I know about PPPoE but i think it is more aplicable in DSL access networks,
> not in Ethernet.

PPPoE is also widely used on cable (HFC) networks, which are Ethernet
in nature.
But I suggest you the same many already have: get rid of NAT, provide
your customers a clean access pipe with a non-RFC1918 IP so they can
happily use SIP, H.323 and other multimedia protocols, and you can use
scalable solutions to deploy your service.

Rubens