[c-nsp] Floating static routes, Etherchannel, and HSRP

Afsheen Bigdeli afsheenb at gravityplaysfavorites.net
Wed Oct 11 14:56:28 EDT 2006

All,

I have a pair of Cisco 3750 stacks (IOS 12.2(25)SEB4), connected to each
other via an Etherchannel trunk, with two separate uplinks to my ISP.
Both are, independently, able to reach the outside world. I've also set
up an HSRP interface on the stack(s), such that 10.10.10.1 is my standby
IP, .2 is the first stack, and .3 is the second stack. Our servers are
able to use .1 as their default gateway, and everything works as I would
expect it to up to this point.

What I had been planning to do is configure a static route on each
switch stack, pointing to the stack on the other side of the
Etherchannel, with a higher administrative distance than the default
route. This way, on a given switch, if/when the default route to the
outside is withdrawn from the routing table, traffic will pass across
the Etherchannel and to the secondary stack, where it will then be
routed to the outside.

However, the route isn't being installed in the routing table.

HSRP config is barebones:

stack 1's vlan interface:

interface Vlan999
  description sanitized
  ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0
  standby 1 ip 10.10.10.1
  standby 1 priority 110

and on stack 2:
interface Vlan999
  description sanitized
  ip address 10.10.10.3 255.255.255.0
  standby 1 ip 10.10.10.1

HSRP failover for the interface works without a hitch, and I can ping /
traceroute from the vlan 999 interface on one switch to the other
without issue. On both switches, the interface is up/up.

The static route is configured as such:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 my.next.hop.address

And I'm trying to add:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 next.hop.on.other.side.of.etherchannel 100

Even when I break the HSRP config and make these two standalone
interfaces, the route isn't installed.

The Etherchannel is a dot1q trunk, and the VLAN is allowed on the trunk
  on both ends of the stack. And, as I said, I can ping / traceroute to
the 10.10.10.3 interface from 10.10.10.2 (which lives on the primary
switch stack, on the other side of the Etherchannel) without issue, and
vice versa.

Any insight would be appreciated here, as I'm stumped.

Thanks,
--afsheenb