[c-nsp] Floating static routes, Etherchannel, and HSRP

Afsheen Bigdeli afsheenb at gravityplaysfavorites.net
Wed Oct 11 17:18:14 EDT 2006

Bruce Pinsky wrote:

> What is IP address of "my.next.hop.address"?  Is it reachable via another
> interface on switch 1?

The IP address is that of my ISP's next hop. It's reachable on a
completely different interface. I mentioned it in passing to show that I
had a default route already, and that I was adding a second default
route with a higher administrative distance, pointing to an interface on
the other side of the Etherchannel instead of my ISP's next hop.

> Does switch 1 have a route to "next.hop.on.other.side.of.etherchannel"?  If
> not how do you expect it to be reachable?

As I said earlier, 10.10.10.3 is the address of the second HSRP
interface (VLAN 999 as per my previous email), on the other side of the
switch stack. It is reachable - I can ping and traceroute to and from
10.10.10.3 without issue, and VLAN999 is shown as being directly
connected in the output of "show ip route" on both stacks. I'd _expect_
it to be reachable because it's directly connected; I have an interface
in VLAN999 on stack 1, likewise on stack 2, and an Etherchannel between
them, configured as a dot1q trunk (with VLAN999 allowed across it).

Thanks,
--afsheenb