[c-nsp] Getting ARP table from SNMP

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Mon Oct 16 23:12:30 EDT 2006

    Hi there, I read the archives and I found a similarly titled post
from some time ago, I am wondering if since that time any improvements
or additions have been added that may help me.

Basically I am looking for the functionality in which I can supply an IP
address to my switch via SNMP and it will return the mac address which
it is sending ARP requests for that IP address.. so far this is what I
have:

[root at nessie ~]# snmpget -v2c -c community switch
.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib2.at.atTable.atEntry.atPhysAddress.376.1.1
92.168.0.1

RFC1213-MIB::atPhysAddress.376.1.192.168.0.1 = Hex-STRING: 00 90 7F 32
90 92

the problem I have with the above is simply that I do not know the port
id (376) beforehand, so is there anyway to simply send the IP address?

thanks,
-Drew