[c-nsp] "show platform hardware capacity" shows sup720-3b FIB tableat 98%

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Oct 19 09:13:43 EDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 09:00:43AM -0500, Yuri Lukin wrote:
> Tim Stevenson wrote..
> >This is correct - it has to do with a limitation of the specific TCAM
> >memory used in PFC3B/BXL which requires that the entries used for 144
> >bit routes (v6 & multicast) be allocated in blocks of 16K 72-bit
> >entries (=8K 144 bit entries).
> >
> >I would think 239K is adequate for the forseeable future for IPv4
> >routes, but would like to be enlightened if that's not the case
> >(flame-proof suit donned).
> >
> >Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but be aware
> >that changing the max-routes config does require a system reboot...
> >
> >Tim
>
> I don't mean to beat a dead horse by bringing up an old subject, but
> I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me. According to what Tim and many
> others have said, the realistic route limit is 239k. However, according
> to the following Sup720 data sheet, it says that the 3BXL supports
> up to 1,000,000 IPv4 routes:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_data_
> sheet09186a0080159856.html
>
> Is this something that's changed in the last 3 months?

Router#sh mls cef maximum-routes
FIB TCAM maximum routes :
=======================
Current :-
-------
 IPv4 + MPLS         - 512k (default)
 IPv6 + IP Multicast - 256k (default)

	You can tune the tcam sizes for the various entries, if you are
not doing any IPv6, multicast or MPLS, you can allocate the entire tcam
to be 1m routes for IPv4.

	here's an excerpt from the above router:

Router#sh platform hardware capacity pfc
L2 Forwarding Resources
           MAC Table usage:   Module  Collisions  Total       Used       %Used
                              5                0  65536         47          1%

             VPN CAM usage:                       Total       Used       %Used
                                                    512          0          0%
L3 Forwarding Resources
             FIB TCAM usage:                     Total        Used       %Used
                  72 bits (IPv4, MPLS, EoM)     524288      204548         39%
                 144 bits (IP mcast, IPv6)      262144        1683          1%

                     detail:      Protocol                    Used       %Used
                                  IPv4                      204548         39%
                                  MPLS                           0          0%
                                  EoM                            0          0%

                                  IPv6                        1618          1%
                                  IPv4 mcast                    65          1%
                                  IPv6 mcast                     0          0%

            Adjacency usage:                     Total        Used       %Used
                                               1048576         726          1%

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net