[c-nsp] Fw: Multicast boundaries

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Fri Oct 20 07:14:13 EDT 2006

Scratch that, turns out we have some potential for sourcing traffic to the
wrong groups, so the
boundary's still useful.

Cheers.
----- Forwarded by Christian MACNEVIN/UK/EUROPE/GROUP on 20/10/2006 12:13
-----

Christian MACNEVIN

20/10/2006 10:43

cisco-nsp
cc

Subject
Multicast boundaries

Hello chaps,
I was previously under the impression that multicast boundaries would
prevent devices joining multicast groups,
as well as binning the data. It would seem however that that's not true,
and hosts still appear in the mroute table,
though they won't receive data.
Given this, we've implemented IGMP ACLs, as engineers troubleshooting are
bound to get confused, and it seems
better just to prevent the join than be forced to drop every packet.
Is there any point implementing multicast boundaries at the access at all?
It was the recommendation we were
given, but I can't currently see any point in it.
Cheers
Christian

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority