[c-nsp] OC48 Router Recommendation

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Fri Oct 20 11:14:38 EDT 2006

> Besides price, I'm looking for a technical recommendation as to
> which platform would be better to use.
>
> We are looking at either a 12008 with GRP-B, OC48 line card,
> and Gig Line cards to tie into our network.
> Or a Catalyst 6509 with Sup720, OC48 OSM, and 6516-GBIC.
>
> Our provider facing routers are pretty simple.. basically BGP,
> and some QoS.

With those requirements, I'd use a 7609 instead of 6509, the
Sup720-3BXL instead of plain '720, SIP/SPA instead of OSM, and
6724 instead of 6515.

Investing in 12008 and GRP-B today doesn't seem like a fantastic
idea, unless you can get them really, really cheap. (Both are
dead products and will IOS XR). If you want 12k, go with 124xx
and PRP.

-A