[c-nsp] QinQ

Rolf Mendelsohn rolf-web at cyberops.biz
Tue Oct 24 09:12:15 EDT 2006

Hi Guys,

I have also been looking at QinQ and as far as i can understand from the docs
on the cisco site, L2PT is specific to Layer 2 (non-IP) frames - e.g.
CDP/STP/UDLD etc.

Ref. to:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12225seb/scg/swtunnel.htm

What I am interesting in knowing is if many Service providers have this
deployed and how the QinQ trunking works - as far as I understand from the
documentation i have read STP doesn't work over QinQ (I am specifically
referring to the 'outer' or 'backbone' TAG)???

Or have I misunderstood the documentation and MSTP does work for the outer
VLAN?

i.e. the following is not protected by STP (MSTP in my case):

SW   - w 802.1q VLAN (2950/2400ME)
CSW - Core Switch with QinQ trunks (3550 w EMI / 3560)

		  /---------------------\
SW----CSW1|			| CSW2----SW
		  \---------------------/

Unfortunately Etherchannel is also not an option in my case because the
Wireless links which link CSW1 and CSW2 are not identical so i suspect it
would be a *bad* idea to put them in a channel?

Regards,
Rolf

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 13:09, Eugene Vedistchev wrote:
> It's called "Layer 2 Protocol Tunneling (L2PT)" though. Non-intuitive.
>
> eugene
>
> sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> >> Which Cisco switches support QinQ ? If we want to combine this with
> >> L2TPv3 tunnelling, which Cisco routers do support QinQ ?
> >
> > Lots of the switches support QinQ, e.g. 3550, 3650, 3750, 6500/7600.
> >
> > Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

Rolf Mendelsohn
ITA/MAXNET
+244 923524981