[c-nsp] VLANs,Trunking and VLAN 1

Mark Tohill Mark at u.tv
Tue Oct 24 12:09:08 EDT 2006

Hi,

I was wondering could some one explain to me the recommended approach to
VLAN 1:

My assumptions (probably wrong)are as follows:

1.	VLAN1 can be disabled from a trunk port via the CLI, but it is
never 'really' disabled. It is used by CDP, VTP etc in the background.
2.	You should always explicitly tag the native vlan of a switch to
avoid possible confusion. This means that any port not specifically
assigned to a vlan(s) will be tagged with this native vlan tag.
3.	Keep user traffic and management traffic away from VLAN 1, since
it has performance/stability implications for STP, for example.

Are any of these correct?

What are the best practices for VLAN 1, the native VLAN, user and
management VLAN's? I have read a lot of the doc on CCO regarding this
but find this a little confusing.

Thanks,

Mark