[c-nsp] PIX ARP Issues

Shakeel Ahmad shakeelahmad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 10:15:35 EDT 2006

Guys, i am in a bit of trouble here, following is the scenario:

Two PIX-515-UR are working in fail over mode. When Secondary PIX is
reloaded/crashed (boot up) and Primary PIX is active, we suddenly loss the
connecitivity to our outside interface for almost around 20 seconds. The
error we can recieved on syslog is this:

Warning %PIX-4-405001: Received ARP request collision from
19x.xx.xx.1/00e0.b602.xxxx
on interface outside

Error is generated by Primary (Active) firewall and then every thing goes
down for a time. 00e0.b602.xxxx  is the mac-address on the outside interface
on Primary (Active) firewall. Although FAILOVER is done by Serial (so can
detect a power up active firewall) and STATE communication is done via a
SWITCH rather than a CROSS CABLE.

Outside Interface (19x.xx.xx.1) on both PIX goes into a Core switch 4507 - i
am unable to trace this issue. Can someone help me. Firewall OS is 7.0(4)

Regards,

Shakeel Ahmad