[c-nsp] consolidation of lines

Michel Lautenslager mie_shell at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 04:47:48 EDT 2006

Hello,

On a site we have a lot of different lines to external
sites. These external sites are both sites of our own
and to third parties. Nearly every line is connected
to a different, mostly a relatively small, router.
This is for capacity and for security. A lot of lines
are connected in a different zone in the network. The
capacity of the lines range from E1 to DS3 and 100Mb
ethernet.

We are thinking about consolidation of these lines to
a few big routers. Our thought now is using a couple
of 7200 routers and if needed 7600 routers. Of course
we still want to keep the lines in their own separate
zone.

I know there are concepts like virtual routers and
virtual firewalling. What to use in Cisco terms and is
this possible on 7200's/7600's?

with kind regards

Michel