[c-nsp] Same IP on two interfaces?

Brant I. Stevens branto at branto.com
Fri Oct 27 08:27:41 EDT 2006

On 10/27/06 6:06 AM, "InterNetX - Patrick Kaiser"
<patrick.kaiser at internetx.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> What about Etherchannel. Mayber this solves your problem

Etherchannel won't work, as it is one router with two interfaces connecting
to two different switches (unless there is has been a new development
allowing cross-switch Etherchannel, but I don't remember seeing anything
like that).

> Greets Patrick
>

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:26:04 +0200
> "Vincent De Keyzer" <vincent at dekeyzer.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>

>> is it possible to have the same IP on two interfaces ?
>>

>> The scenario is the following: router is connected via Fa0/0 to sw0, and
>> via Fa0/1 to sw1 (sw0 and sw1 are interconnected).
>>

>> IP X.Y.Z.100 should belong to both interfaces: if sw0 or sw1 fails, router
>> should still be reachable.

As others have said, using a BVI and bridge groups should solve this
problem.