[c-nsp] Your opinions on router throughput

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Oct 28 04:19:46 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:17:22PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Gert Doering wrote:
>
> > Regarding the original question: a NPE-300 should handle 45 Mbit of load
> > just fine, *even* if it's all small packets - the "routerperformance.pdf"
> > file claims 180 Mbit throughput with 64 byte packets for the NPE-300,
> > and those numbers tend to be fairly realistic.
>
> 180Mbit/s of 64 byte packets through an NPE300?  And that 7206 fits in 1U
> of rack space too, doesn't it?
>
> For the humor impaired, I'm calling BS on those numbers.  I've watched
> NPE300's quit working at far lower traffic loads.

The original marketing numbers have been 300kpps (<-> NPE-300) - and
those certainly are not realistic.

>From what others have reported, the routerperformance.pdf numbers seem
to be a pretty good match on what the box really can do.

(Regarding "responsiveness under high packet load" - this might need to
depend somewhat on scheduler tuning, and having CEF turned on)

>From our own experience, the 7200s - with all sorts of NPEs - have done
a VERY good job, even under difficult circumstances - like "a hosted customer
server spewing out 100 Mbit of small UDP packets".  SQL slammer *did* cause
quite some pain, but that was due to "ip accounting" being turned on,
and the box falling back to mostly process switching...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de