[c-nsp] rate-limit plus queueing strategy

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Mon Oct 30 13:26:26 EST 2006

steve at telecomplete.co.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>  does anyone know.. is it possible to combine rate limit with custom or priority queueing?
>
> ie
>
> I want to set a bandwidth limit on an interface by rate-limit eg 50Mb
>
> then define custom or priority queueing that will operate within that 50Mb cap.

Yes, you can do this with nested (Hierarchical Traffic policies) but you
should be using a policer rather than a rate-limit (*)

!
interface FastEthernetX/Y
  service-policy input PARENT
!
policy-map PARENT
  class class-default
  police <yada yada> (or even shape <yada yada> if your HW can do it>!)
  service-policy CHILD
!
policy-map CHILD
  class gold
  <gold priority foo>
  class silver
  <silver bandwidth foo>
  class bronze
  <bronze bandwidth foo>
  class class-default
  <default foo>
!

(*) All of this is IOS and Hardware dependant, YMMV