[c-nsp] Advise on 7609

Jasper de Beer beer at o2w.nl
Fri Sep 1 06:45:31 EDT 2006

Hi All,

We are considering migrating from our current network setup which uses
Juniper routers to a Cisco platform. We need to upgrade our network to
10Gb/s, so we are considering a Cisco 7609, with one 6704-10GE and packed
several 6748-GE modules.

The box will be doing routing, as well as switching. We will need it to be
able to handle at least 300 peerings, and 4 full transits. Appart from BGP
we need firewalling: we have different lists of IPs that have certain
ports blocked from certain source addresses. The box should be able to
handle somewhere between 5Gb/s and 9Gb/s.

No QOS, MPLS, or other services are needed. It just needs to push around
IP traffic on different BGP peers, reliably.

Is it viable to have this done reliably on a 7609 with a 720-SUP-3BXL
engine?

Many thanks for your advices and insights,

Jasper