[c-nsp] Quiet switch

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Tue Sep 5 06:06:20 EDT 2006

On 5/09/2006 10:00 p.m., James Wakefield wrote:
> I have what may be a slightly odd request.  I'm looking for a reasonably
> smart switch (preferably layer 3, some QoS capabilities, vLANs, 802.1X
> auth if it's not pushing it) running IOS, but one whose noise output is
> more suited to a SOHO situation than a wiring closet or datacentre.  To
> put things into perspective, something that's as noisy as a Catalyst
> 3550 is probably too noisy; something that's as quiet as my 1601 router
> would be ideal.

The Catalyst 2940 is quiet, does basic QoS, VLANS, RSTP, 802.1X and runs IOS.  I
  don't think it has any fans at all (ie is silent), and comes in the style of 8
10/100 ports + one of either a GigE port or an (SFP and 100FX) port.

Doesn't do layer 3 though but fits your description in all other regards and for
a SOHO environment are fantastic.  It's much the same as a 2950 but designed for
a workgroup/small desktop environment in terms of it's size.

Reuben