[c-nsp] DSL network with Ethernet DSLAMS

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Sep 5 10:41:33 EDT 2006

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Robert H. Sass wrote:

> 3) What technology should be used at DSL modems ? PPPoE or bridged-ppp ?

None of the above. RFC1483 ethernet briding over ATM on the DSL and pure
ethernet in the metro. This might differ if your DSLAM is able to
terminate the PPP session to the modem, but operationally I'd say ethernet
bridging over ATM on the DSL is the easiest.

> 4) Are any other recommendations regarding designing DSL network based
> on Catalyst L2 switches and Ethernet DSLAMS ?

Don't do any tunneling between the modems and the BRAS (and you only need
BRAS to do bitstream that you plan to sell to other ISPs).

You probably want to make sure whatever routes is able to set .1p priority
properly on outgoing ethernet packets (for instance transfer IP precedence
into .1p) so the DSLAM can do prioritization if you plan to run triple
play.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se