[c-nsp] SP Provider RP in multicast with MPLS/BGP L3 VPN

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Sep 6 06:22:40 EDT 2006

Atiqur Rahman Mohammed wrote:
> Can anybody explain why Service Provider rendezvous point (RP) is required
> in multicast Layer 3 VPN environment in addition to VPN RP. It would be
> highly appreciable if anyone points to some good document.

For MVPN, the inner multicast group address (range) is mapped to an
outer multicast group address (smaller range). Therefore, the outer
(service provider) network must have working multicast.

If you choose a source-specific-multicast range (recommended) for the SP
mapping, no RP is required. If you choose an ordinary ASM range for the
SP mapping, an RP is required as normal for any multicast traffic.

My recommendation (and the examples in most Cisco docs) would be to use
an SSM range defined out of the local scope.

In fact on a 6500 with SXF2 I had difficultly making MVPN work with ASM.

HTH