[c-nsp] OT: Open Source Network Monitor

Aldo Valente Aldo.Valente at gmx.de
Wed Sep 6 08:57:28 EDT 2006

Nagios is mentioned here often, we use it too.

MRTG+RRDTool is what i prefer over Cacti and others.  I took rrd.cgi
as a frontend and modified it.  MRTG is higly configurable and
scriptable, which i did.

For collecting Netflow data, i like nfsen most.

netdisco is a great tool, basically it goes on a regularly basis via
SNMP through your switches and Routers and saves MAC Adresses, IP
Adresses and Switchports in a database.  The Installation is hard, but
after then it just works.  It even discovers your network and has
many more features.

Not really Monitoring, but rancid (+CVSWeb) is wonderful.  My daily
Mail about changed config keeps me informed.  rancid also is cool for
interactice work and also for config changes ("clogin -c reboot
$ALLROUTERS")

Northstar is used here as a tool for planning Networks.  You get a
tree-like CIDR View on your networks plus locations and devices.

Aldo