[c-nsp] L3 Policy-Map hits switched traffic

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Thu Sep 7 05:15:02 EDT 2006

Hi,

we have an interesting issue here with four Sup720A

User1 --  R1 --------- R2 --------- R3 -------- R4 -- User2
       (18)SXD7    (18)SXD7     (33)SRA      (18)SXD7

		    outside

All links between those routers are 10GE (WS-X6704-10GE) 802.1q trunks,
all routers do OSPF in one common backbone VLAN. When User1 tries to
reach User2 we can see on a NAM installed in R1 that the packet is sent
on the backbone VLAN with the correct destination MAC of R4. However,
the traffic is processed by

interface Vlan998
 ip policy route-map BLA

on R2 which sets the next-hop for this packet to outside.

Is this a (known) bug or a feature? Since R2 only switches this traffic
it should not hit the route-map on the SVI, or am I wrong here?

Regards,
Bernhard