[c-nsp] VP/VC shaping on PA-A3

Per Carlson lists at ip4all.net
Thu Sep 7 08:53:15 EDT 2006

Hi folks.

We are terminating DSL circuits from our local the telco. They are
using 2-levels of policing, both at the VP and the VC-level. To
avoid bad service levels, we have been shaping the VC at the PA-A3
and the VP on external ATM-switches. Now we are in a process of
removing the ATM-gear (nobody buys ATM-circuits these days...). So
I'm left trying to accomplish this 2-level shaping solely on the
PA-A3.

As far as I have been able to figure out, you can do VC-shaping in
the SAR *or* VP-shaping in software. And I would like to do
both... Does anyone know some clever approaches to change the *or*
to an *and*?

The routers in question are 7206VXR. We havn't decided on the IOS
yet (we don't know which features we need), but it must be able to
do MPLS VPNs, IS-IS and RBE. There is *no* need for L2TP and
PPPoX. All VC's will be terminated on individual sub-interfaces,
the IP-addresses are statically configured and attached to VRFs.

<rant>
Yes, I know the 7200/PA-A3 combination is not optimal in this
case, but we do have a bunch of them laying around. Selecting,
buying, installing, training, ajusting processes (and so forth)
for something else would take too long time...
</rant>

--
Per Carlson, Sr. Network Developer