[c-nsp] HELLO PACKET of HSRP

Tom Sands tsands at rackspace.com
Fri Sep 8 08:14:42 EDT 2006

Depending on how many VIP/groups you intend to have, and the platform
you are doing it on, you could impact your CPU some.  However, it is
really fairly minimal.  Given some of the limitations you have on
certain platforms (# of groups for 3550 or 3750) I haven't had any
significant impact on CPU.  We have run 6500's up to 2000+ instances
with only minimal noticeable impact on the CPU.  The problem seen though
is when in a failover scenario, if everything sets off at once it's a
big hit on the CPU. So, we adjusted the timers to stagger the failover
of different groups.