[c-nsp] CF ok in 7300 not in 7600 ?

matt carter matt at iseek.com.au
Mon Sep 11 00:54:36 EDT 2006

i was putting a new IOS image onto 2 x 256M compactflash (different vendors)
for a couple of 7606's.. since the 7600's are not beside me and the flash
cards are, i have been lazy and used a 7301 which is consoled to my laptop
to do the format and download the ios image and then send the cf to the 7606
location.

- both vendor's CF format ok in 7301
- both vendor's CF verify ios ok in 7301
- both vendor's CF boot just fine in 7301
- both vendor's CF appear as valid FAT file systems with correct files using
a CF reader on my laptop

however in the 7600 only only of the flash cards functions.. it's like the
7301 is fine with both different vendors but the 7600 is more particular.

is there some CF magic in the 6500/7600 that would result in a card
appearing to be just fine in the 7301 but not actually working in the
6500/7600 platform?

from a best practice point of view, is it unreasonable to expect that a card
that works just fine in 7301 should work just fine in a 7606 also ?

--matt