[c-nsp] IGMP on 6500s - %MCAST-xx-GC_LIMIT_EXCEEDED

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Sep 11 15:03:20 EDT 2006

Dale W. Carder wrote:

> You can monitor igmp activity via SNMP.
>
> John Kristoff wrote a nice tool called mcastsum[*] to do basic polling
> of multicast related counters to aid troubleshooting.
>
> You can download mcastsum w/ my patch to prettify the output at:
> http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~dwcarder/scripts/

Thanks, but correct me if I'm wrong that's IGMP joins and activity at
layer3 interfaces rather than IGMP snooping? If something is causing the
router to think it needs >15k snooping entries, I surely will need to
see what is causing that directly - the mibs that script parses (in
fact, all the mibs available) don't look to contain the required info.

I'm still not entirely certain what the "count" these log messages
refers to that I am exceeding is; I am having a very hard time
reconciling the number 15,000 with ANY form of multicast activity on the
box. It's quiet.