[c-nsp] mbssid + radius vlan assignment problems

Brady Alleman balleman-cisconsp at thtech.net
Tue Sep 12 15:42:55 EDT 2006

Hello All,

I've been trying to get multiple BSSIDs and radius vlan assignment to
play together on a 1231 AP running 12.3(4)JA4.  When the radius server
assigns a vlan other than the vlan configured for the SSID, the AP will
continually dissociate the client due to maximum retries exceeded.

Capturing traffic shows the AP sending request-to-send frames with a
transmitter address of all zeros, to which the client dutifully
responds.  I'm assuming the AP is expecting to receive the responses on
its own address, and times out the association when it does not get
them.

Radius vlan assignment works fine when mbssid is not used, so it does
not seem to be a radius or vlan-related issue.  mbssids also work fine
when vlan assignment is not attempted.  I'm using MAC-based auth with
freeradius as the radius server.

Any suggestions?

Feel free to point me to another list - wireless does seem to be a rare
topic here :)

Thanks,
Brady Alleman