[c-nsp] Small PE L3 Switches ?

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Tue Sep 12 22:53:59 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to find a box to use as a PE in small applications or
applications where we want to separate things onto dedicated PE for
availability or contract reasons (i.e. not hanging of a large, shared
aggregation box).  From the Cisco range there are a stack of "almost"
boxes (i.e. they almost do the job)  :

3750  :  no MPLS
3750-metro  :  only FE access ports
4948  :  no MPLS
6524  :  no AC version
6503/Sup32GE  :  Only 8 Gig ports and bit expensive for this "cookie
cutter" application.

The other option is an ISR and a Dot1Q trunk into a switch but I'd
rather not of I can avoid it.

Thoughts anyone?  Do you guys use another box that fits the bill?
Can the Cisco guys comment on MPLS on 3750s?  It's on the metro so
it's surely a marketing rather than technical decision.

David