[c-nsp] Rate-limiting ARPs

Ed Butler ed.butler at rapidswitch.com
Wed Sep 13 06:57:21 EDT 2006

Oliver,

I am not sure a "debug arp" would be particularly helpful at this point,
because the problem is not happening at the moment.

The problem manifested itself last night when a server on a /24 subnet
was subject to a DDOS of 300kpps. The server crashed, for whatever
reason, and once the ARP entry had timed out all of the servers on that
/24 were bombarded with traffic until we filtered the DDOS at the border
routers.

Regards,

Ed Butler
RapidSwitch Ltd
DDI: 020 7106 0731

RapidSwitch Ltd, 5th Floor, Sovereign House, 227 Marsh Wall, London, E14
9SD

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are not
the intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and
immediately delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this
email by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
prohibited. No representation is made that this email or any attachments
are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the
responsibility of the recipient.