[c-nsp] Router recommendation

Rick Kunkel kunkel at w-link.net
Wed Sep 13 20:36:43 EDT 2006

Heya folks... I'm pretty dim on the upper lever Cisco gear, and we're in
the market for something burlier than the 7206 we've currently got.  I
need some suggestions for products...

The requirements:

1. We're terminating a DSL Aggregation DS-3, so there must be an
electrical and/or optical DS-3 module available for it.

2.  At least 3 GigEthernet ports, either somewhat built-in or in modules.

3.  Capable of handling at least 3 full BGP routing tables.

4.  Must be able to do operating-system-wise everything that our current
7206 does, like "atm route-bridged ip" stuff and 802.1Q.  (I have a
feeling this is kind of a "it goes without saying" type of requirement,
but I wanted to be clear...)

5.  Able to route/switch about 1Gbps from the various internet facing
interfaces to the various internal facing interfaces.  (I'm sure this is
not a simple answer, but unfortunately, that's about all I've got to go on
right now.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rick Kunkel