[c-nsp] Router recommendation

Tim DeVries tdevries at icsbermuda.com
Fri Sep 15 08:44:01 EDT 2006

With regards to PPPoE, if you are using L2TP to tunnel the PPPoE
sessions and terminating them over your DS3 on the 7206, you could
likely get away without completely changing platforms if you used
another PPPoE aggregation technology like the open-source L2TPNS
software.  This offloads a great deal of processing power from your 7200
series routers.  To give you an idea, we built a cluster using L2TPNS
and took the CPU of a 7206VXR w/ NPE400 down from 95% (1600 users
128k-512k sessions) to about 20% purely by forwarding the l2TP tunnels
that came in over our DS3/OC3 interfaces to the L2TPNS cluster (via
Ethernet interface) and terminating all of the PPPoE there instead of on
the router(s).

Our case might be slightly different as the incumbent Telco was
providing the LAC side of things while we had to take care of the LNS.
However the cluster solution is way more scalable (65,535 per cluster)
than any router solution and has been very stable to date once we got
the bugs worked out.

Regards,
Tim