[c-nsp] Control-Plane CEF-exception subinterface

German Martinez gmartine at opentransit.net
Mon Sep 18 10:59:49 EDT 2006

Quoting Cisco's website:

"Control-plane CEF-exception subinterface. This control-plane
subinterface receives all traffic that is either redirected as a
result of a configured input feature in the CEF packet forwarding path
for process switching or directly enqueued in the control plane input
queue by the interface driver (i.e. ARP, L2 Keepalives and all non-IP
host traffic). Control Plane Protection allows specific aggregate
policing of this type of control plane traffic."

12.4(4)T
The host, transit and cef-exception keywords were added.

We are currently running 12.2(18).SXF3.  How can be indentify traffic
destined to the CEF-exception subinterface while running our current
IOS?  We have a COPP policy applied in some of our routers and
apparently when CEF is disabled in one of our LC -7600 architecture-
our RP starts discarding packets destined to it :-(

How is the communication between LC and RP when a packet needs to be
process switched?

Thanks
German