[c-nsp] Incorrect accounting records

James Wakefield jamesw at deakin.edu.au
Tue Sep 19 20:00:39 EDT 2006

piestaga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it is possible that someone can answer 'not this group' for my
> question, nevertheless I will try to find any help here.
> I would like to as if someone had experienced such problem or knows the
> reason for such case.
>
> I had adsl users terminated on the bras (Juniper ERS-310).
> All sessions are authenticated on radius (former Funk Software SBR/EE)
>
> Accounting record file contains not only the records for particular day
> (accounting record is created once a day and should contain only session
> that started or finished that day).
>
> Problem is that for some reason the log contains also the records of the
> sessions fow which the 'record start date' is few days or even weeks
> befor the current date.
>
> This happens only on the begining of each record file. I mean that there
> are few (aprox. less than 20) records with incorrect date and all
> remaining are correct and nothing wrong happens.
>
> This happens every day, there is a real mess on the begining of the new
> file and after few minutes every thing goes back to normal.
>
> Do you have any idea what can be the reason of such 'strange' records ??
> (of course except the Vendor issue) :-))
>
> Thanks
> Piestaga

Hi,

As these are ADSL (and as such, "always on") users, is it at all
possible that what you're seeing are sessions that began a few
days/weeks ago and stopped on the day of the accounting record file?  If
so, this is actually correct (though possibly undesirable) behaviour.
You may wish to consider having the BRAS send regular accounting updates
for sessions in progress or using flow-based accounting to determine
usage volumes and RADIUS accounting only to determine what user to
attribute the flows to.

Am I understanding your issue correctly?  Or is it something else?

Cheers,
--
James Wakefield,
Unix Administrator, Information Technology Services Division

Phone: 03 5227 8690 International: +61 3 5227 8690
Fax:   03 5227 8866 International: +61 3 5227 8866
E-mail:   james.wakefield at deakin.edu.au
Website:  http://www.deakin.edu.au