[c-nsp] RSP16 drop-in for RSP4?

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Sep 20 09:09:42 EDT 2006

Bill Wichers wrote:

> Just a slightly related question: about how many feeds are you able to
> squeeze into an RSP4 w/ 256MB? Right now I have 1 full view and a partial
> (filtered from another of our routers) view on one router and run around

Topology: Two GSR core routers, two GSR upstream edge routers.  Edge
routers are route reflector clients of the cores but do not receive
upstream external routes (hot exit, and propagate your entire set of
routes).  Six 7507s as customer aggregation routers, and are route
reflector clients of the cores.  Core routers instructed to not reflect
client routes to clients; all clients are in turn fully meshed (i.e.
full mesh in the POP; route reflectors tie it all together).

The 7507s receive a full table from each local edge router, and receive
twin (most of the time) sets of "best route if the core prefers to go
outside the POP" routes from the local cores.  The 7507s are all running
12.0(27)S5, and are sitting at 13-22MB of free memory.  Way tighter than
I'd like to be, and therefore the reason for asking about RSP16s.
Nonetheless, knock on wood, we are not seeing any instabilities with
such low amounts of free RAM.

pt