[c-nsp] MPLS & Bandwidth Management

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Thu Sep 21 03:53:57 EDT 2006

Hi all.

I have a lab scenario where a border and edge router are directly
connected through a bandwidth management device. Further down,
another edge router simulating another PoP is connected to the
main edge router that simulates the main PoP.

This bandwidth manager manages packet bandwidth utilization by
analyzing various attributes. Naturally, we analyze the source
IP address and apply bandwidth management policies on that.

I've noticed for prefixes whose out-label isn't a 'Pop tag'
to/from the main PoP edge router will not have their bandwidth
policies applied to them as they try to exit the AS domain.

After disabling LDP on the border router only, said prefixes are
now adhering to the bandwidth management policies on the
bandwidth manager.

This looks like the bandwidth manager doesn't know how to handle
the packets because it sees the label at the top of the packet,
rather than the header with the source IP address.

It's likely someone else has come across this issue. I'd
appreciate any feedback on how it was handled (I'm investigating
whether my bandwidth manager vendor can support policies based
on MPLS labels, but that would still present a challenge for
customers as label allocation is only done for the BGP next-hop
IP address, and not an end-customer prefix).

I'm still analyzing some more, but for now, it would appear this
mostly affects return traffic from the border router toward the
end edge router/prefix.

All help appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark.