[c-nsp] Input errors ?

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Wed Sep 27 04:01:20 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,
Yesterday I had a 7206vxr npe 300 shoot up to 100% cpu usage ,no process
that was occupying over 1%, so I started looking at interfaces and
traffic.
Checking things out I found that Fast 0/0 was showing alot of input
errors, in 5 minutes we had 6.200.000, with 6.100.000 ignored packets,
and 15 interface resets.
This router is connected to a 3750E, and the 3750 port  was clean and
the switch cpu was at 7%.
All the graphs (both mrtg and netflow) show normal traffic levels,
roughly 25Mbs, with no peaks or otherwise strange traffic.
No one was around the router to have touched the cable, and after 5
minutes the errors stopped and things returned to normal.
Since that time everything is clean. This setup has been in place for
several months and never had an issue.
All the logs are clean and I am at a loss to understand excactly what
caused the problem.
The only thing that comes to mind is a bug , but I searched and could
not find anything.
The 7200 is running 12.3.17(a) and the 3750 12.2(20)SE1
Anyone have an idea ?

Thanks in advance

Brian