[c-nsp] Software forced crash on 2651XM/12.3(6e)

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Sep 27 17:59:08 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 02:44:29PM -0400, christopher.a.kane at jpmchase.com wrote:
> > Or upgrade to the latest 12.3 mainline code and see if it goes away.
>
> Not to pick on you Rodney.....but I'd like to better understand why this
> statement gets uttered so much.

Well - because bugs get fixed in later IOS releases in the same mainline
train.  That is, from "12.3(6e)" (your version, April 2005) to "12.3(20)"
(most recent version, August 2006) *lots* of bugs have been fixed, and
normally no new features have been added - that is, one would expect
fairly few new bugs.

So even if it is very annoying to hear that - if you have an issue that
is repetitive enough to be a real problem, it very often helps just to
upgrade to the most recent code (inside the same IOS train!), which makes
this a fairly good advice.

> For those of us in large enterprises
> (maybe the smaller ones too), code upgrades are rarely permitted on whim.

... which is why you have a lab to test IOS versions before rolling them
out in the field, haven't you?

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de