[c-nsp] GBit interfaces for C760x

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Sep 28 10:42:20 EDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 03:35:30PM +0100, Moerman, Maarten wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> I'm looking for a way to connect just a couple of fibers to some uplink
> providers, and IX'es. Was looking at both:
>
>  - WS-X6408A-GBIC
>  - OSM-2+4GE-WAN
>
> List price for that last one is however USD 44.000, and that GBIC thing
> is USD 9.995. Do I really need that expensive one? I don't think so..
> any one as an opinion on this they want to share?

	Unless you need the features on the 4xGE OSM card that are not
available via doing the centralized mls switching that you would get
out of the 6408 card, you can save yourself a lot of money by going
with the 6408 card.

	You should keep in mind that depending on your linecard config,
you may have suboptimal performance, eg: mixing fabric cards with
bus-mode cards vs cards that can operate in truncated mode, etc..

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net