[c-nsp] new 8-port 10 G bade

Arnold Nipper arnold at nipper.de
Thu Sep 28 12:12:27 EDT 2006

On 28.09.2006 16:32 Justin M. Streiner wrote

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Jared Mauch wrote:
>
>> I think it's critically important for folks to continue to ask
>> Cisco (and your other vendors) for a 100GE solution.  IEEE process
>> is a bit odd, so could possibly stall.  If that's the case, us
>> "nsp-types" may need to band together and have a SP nonstandard
>> 100GE bakeoff.
>
> The issue I have with that is that if we get too far ahead of
> (ourselves, IEEE, $other_standards_body), the risk of having more
> neat vendor-specific compatibility and interoperability issues down
> the road grows dramatically.  There's already a pretty well
> established track record of vendors jumping the gun on standards,
> with varying levels of headaches. ISL vs. dot1q, IETF frame
> encapsulation vs. Cisco frame encapsulation, HSRP vs. VRRP, etc...
>
> There will always be interop concerns, especially in new technology,
> but I'd prefer not to give vendors the opportunity to grow interop
> issues in a petri dish :)

Actually, first was ISL, then came dot1q. First was HSRP, then came
VRRP. Wasn't it?

Esp. for 100GE I *hope* that vendors don't wait for the standard being
finalized.

Currently with Cisco 80Gbps is the maximum you get when switching ...
that might be too little in two years from now,

Arnold