[c-nsp] BGP memory on a 6500

David Sinn dsinn at dsinn.com
Thu Sep 28 13:36:10 EDT 2006

OK, lets break this down a little.

The DRAM on the MSFC is used for multiple things, including running
all of your routing procotols.  Once the routing protocols have
decide what routes they think are best and have pushed them to the
routing table, CEF takes them and push them to the forwarding table
on the PFC/DFC, along with mixing in any and all directly connected
neighbors.  Directly connected neighbors are closely approximated by
your ARP table.

In the specific case of BGP, depending on your BGP feeds, you may see
some prefix's that have multiple possible routes to.  For the most
part, BGP will select one it considers "best" (yes I'm
oversimplifying some cases, but lets just go with it).  This "best"
route is what is pushed to the routing table.  Thus you too can have
300k (or more) possible BGP paths that will likely result in an
actual routing table in the 180-200k range.  Only these "best" routes
are pushed to the forwarding table on the PFC/DFC.

ACL's consume a totally separate section of memory on both the MSFC
and the PFC/DFC's, be they "control plane" ACL's used to filter BGP
routes, or "data plane" ACL's filtering packets.  Monitoring that is
independent of how many forwarding entries you can have on your PFC.

Now, more to the point of your PFC2 and it's ability to hold your
forwarding table.  You need to consider how many BGP routes you
consider "best", how many IGP routes you will have and how many
directly connected neighbors this box will talk to.  This is likely
in the 200k prefix neighborhood which, as was pointed out below, is
awfully close to the 256k max of a PFC2...  (Or the tangental case of
PFC3B's with v6 stealing some table entries only giving you 192k
entries, unless you tweak things.)

So when all is said and done, using a PFC2 or PFC3B with a full BGP
routing table today is really cutting it close.  PFC3BXL's have a
much better useful life.

David